[BUG] SMLoader not handling download errors (critical for 3.6full)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Sep 1 08:38:58 UTC 2003

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Actually, the error would need to be handled in SqueakMap itself (in
> SMSqueakMap), or in the load script.  I could add handling to the load
> script, although it seems like it might be better if SMSqueakMap put up
> a notifier and then skipped that package.  Then in this case the load
> script would proceed to the next package.

Nah, we should fix it in SM of course. I also saw David posting some
ENHs about UI interaction in SM.

> I guess this will be less of an issue with SM2 since it will have a
> backup server for all packages.  (I think?)

Yes, in SM2 we have a proper cache on the master - and also the ability
to upload package releases to your "SM account" instead of finding your
own publishing place.

But we should of course still make sure that SMSqueakMap both handles
network problems correctly AND uses some kind of neat interaction model
so that it can handle running headless etc.

So, two things to do:
- Apply bandaids to SM1 so that we stay happy. Anybody volunteering to
help me out here?
- Make sure SM2 moves along. Would appreciate help with that too.

And I am sorry, but if noone volunteers then it will just have to "take
the time it takes". :)

Time, time...

> - Doug

regards, Göran

PS. I have lined up a few smaller things for a new SM1 release. Will try
to do that today or tomorrow.