installing squeak on Debian Woody

Ralph P. Boland rpboland at math.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 1 19:52:59 UTC 2003

I tried installing Squeak 3.4 on a PC running Debian Woody but
without success.

I tried installing squeak on a PC running  Linux  (Debian Wood7) but failed.

I created a subdirectory of my home directory.
Then I downloaded the software  there and
did an install (as root).
I then did a man squeak which worked.

I did a "which squeak" which finds  squeak
and a "which inisqueak" which DOES NOT FIND inisqueak.

Though I have root privaliges I almost never use it because I know
almost nothing about linux except as a user.

However, I will buy my first computer in a couple of days and the first
thing I want to do is install linux (Debian or Redhat) and then squeak.
Though I haven't used Smalltalk in years I am planning a major project
to be done using squeak.

Can anybody suggest what I am doing wrong; something simple I'm sure.

Also, is there a standard place to install squeak?
If so, that is where I will put it on my new system.

How large a system do I need to run squeak efficiently?

Also, how slow is it?
I will be building an application that
will scale up to some large problems both in terms of memory used
and time consumed.

Ralph Boland