installing squeak on Debian Woody

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Sep 2 20:43:28 UTC 2003

On Monday 01 September 2003 12:52 pm, Ralph P. Boland wrote:
> I tried installing Squeak 3.4 on a PC running Debian Woody but
> without success.
>
> I tried installing squeak on a PC running  Linux  (Debian Wood7)
> but failed.
>
> I created a subdirectory of my home directory.
> Then I downloaded the software  there and
> did an install (as root).
> I then did a man squeak which worked.
>
> I did a "which squeak" which finds  squeak
> and a "which inisqueak" which DOES NOT FIND inisqueak.

Inisqueak does not install with the debian VM package, as I recall. I
believe it's in the Image package.

Please try the Debian VM and image packages from Ian Piumarta's site:

http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/
http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/devel/dist/squeak-vm_3.6-beta10_i386.deb
http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/devel/dist/squeak-image_3.6b-5402_all.deb
http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/unix/release/squeak-sources_3_all.deb

You will need all three .deb packages unless you already have the
SqueakV3.sources file.

> Though I have root privaliges I almost never use it because I know
> almost nothing about linux except as a user.
>
> However, I will buy my first computer in a couple of days and the
> first thing I want to do is install linux (Debian or Redhat) and
> then squeak. Though I haven't used Smalltalk in years I am planning
> a major project to be done using squeak.
>
> Can anybody suggest what I am doing wrong; something simple I'm
> sure.
>
> Also, is there a standard place to install squeak?
> If so, that is where I will put it on my new system.
>
> How large a system do I need to run squeak efficiently?

Not very. You need to have enough memory to run Squeak, and to hold
whatever images, changes, and sources files you're using. Memory
usage is dynamic, but I find that things work fine with a resident
memory usage of less than 40Mb.

> Also, how slow is it?

I get about 1 message send per 10 clock cycles: that is, on a 1200 MHz
Duron I get about 120 000 000 bytecodes per second:

 '114285714 bytecodes/sec; 4011617 sends/sec'

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com