[bug] stack overflow crashes Squeak.

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sun Sep 7 18:13:08 UTC 2003

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Michael Fremont wrote:

> I've tried Avi's code; it's really nice, simple code.  Unfortunately,
> on very fast machines on Unix, it gets into some kind of infinite
> loop of error notifications that cause the Emergency Evaluator to pop
> up when you test it with:
>
> Smalltalk createStackOverflow.

Hm, you're right - I can't get it to work at all on Linux.  I wrote and
tested it on Mac OS X, where it worked fine.

A recursive loop seems to lock the unix VM *much* harder than it was
locking the Mac OS X VM - the interrupt key doesn't work, UI events don't
get through - even when the offending process is forked at the lowest
priority.

Inserting a call to "Processor yield" into #createStackOverflow fixes
these problems.  Are the scheduling rules different between VMs?