List archives and distribution

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 19:04:21 UTC 2003

> And I am just waiting for Chris Muller to announce his
> mega-indexed-archive-using-Magma any day now. :-) :-)

I do have a changeset which will parse the 250MB file and load a
MagmaCollection with instances of MailMessage and with a keyword index to boot!
 Depending on the speed of your computer and effects of the latest
optimizations, it is responsible to say this load will probably take a long
time.  Once loaded, access by keyword should be very fast (subsecond).  I can
send this to you if you'd like to give it a try.  It's real small, just one or
two classes, I think.

One thing on my to-do list is to integrate a Magma-indexed archive with some
custom-morphs for reading, posting, searching, general-managing and
slice-and-dice of the Squeak list.  The #1 goal would be improved usability and
improved collaboration compared to e-mail clients.  New incoming mails would be
automatically inserted into the Magma archive.

But there are plenty of questions to answer about this.  What are all the
requirements?  How useful will a keyword index be on such a large dataset?
Will a Metaphone index be useful?  Until Magma has security will anyone else
who wants to use this program be willing to build their own repository (that
sure wouldn't be convenient).

There's a lot of work to be done, and I can't seem to get laid off from my day
job!  Like everyone else, things are busy.  So I hope this doesn't burst your
bubble, but I wouldn't expect a full-blown solution "any day now."  :-)   :-(

I do have that utility script though, if you're interested!

 - Chris