[q] Modal dialogs (not working ?)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Sep 8 22:17:15 UTC 2003

Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> On 08/09/03 07:18, "Bert Freudenberg" <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>

>>Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

>>>Martin:
>>>And besides Bob excelent advice  you still want have a SystemWindow with
>>>fields, buttons, etc you could do:
>>>
>>>Your code hier
>>>
>>>[done]
>>>                whileFalse: [World doOneCycle].
>>
>>But this will not make your dialog modal (try it!). Which is a Good
>>Thing, as others have pointed out.
>>
>>Hey Martin: Why is it you want to repeat all the silly mistakes bad UI
>>designers force upon the world?
>>
>>--
>>  Bert
>>

> Bert:
>
> I have that code working in my TEG.
>
> Perhaps we have different opinion of what is a Dialog.
>
>  FillInTheMorph  is the example what I point (and have this code too).
>
> For me, a Dialog is a window what stay in place , with buttons, pictures,
> text, etc, and what stay in place until you click on a special place.
> I glad to read your concept.

A "modal" dialog forces the user to complete the dialog before
continuing. Basically, while the dialog is shown, you can only interact
with the dialog and nothing else, like bringing up the world menu etc.
This is not prevented by the doOneCycle approach because the whole world
cycle is performed.

--
    Bert