VM config managment problems...

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Sep 10 02:53:12 UTC 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Alan Grimes wrote:

Dude,

> 2. The Sourceforge CVS archive is unsynched with Ian's source in that it
> doesn't contain the recient addition of the /unix/vm-display-fbdev

Err...

emilia$ pwd
/Users/piumarta/squeak/SF/platforms/unix
emilia$ ls -d vm-*
vm-display-Quartz   vm-display-null     vm-sound-OSS
vm-display-X11      vm-sound-MacOSX     vm-sound-Sun
vm-display-fbdev    vm-sound-NAS        vm-sound-null
emilia$ cd vm-display-fbdev/
emilia$ cvs -nz3 update
piumarta at cvs.sourceforge.net's password:
cvs server: Updating .
emilia$ ls -ld .
drwxr-xr-x  3 piumarta  admin  1024 Aug 22 18:53 .
emilia$

On the other hand, cvsweb at SF is completely, totally, hopelessly,
wretchedly broken.  If you don't see something in there, that doesn't mean
it hasn't been in there for weeks.  (It wouldn't surprise me if their cvs
pserver is broken to the same degree.)

> driver (among a growing list of conflicts I would wager...)

Actually the only conflict between my sources and the SF tree right now is
this:

< sqUnixX11.c:      sscanf(argv[1], "%i", &browserPipes[1]);

which should say

> sqUnixX11.c:      sscanf(argv[2], "%i", &browserPipes[1]);

(but since nobody [other than Ned] has noticed npsqueak being broken, I
was attending to several more pressing matters in the meantime, rather
than releasing a beta12.)

> Ian doesn't like CVS very much

He loves CVS (almost as much as he loves rsync ;).  Almost every line of
code he writes is under CVS control.  (But you're kind of tangentially
right, in that he doesn't like SourceForge particularly much.)

> but, to the best of my knowlege, the CVS repository is the official
> source repository????

Can't speak for the rest of the tree, but the official repository for Unix
is the disk on our fileserver at work (to which my sources are rsynced
after ever single change, and then backed up by dorotech to optical disk
every night).  I export my source into my local SF tree and commit the
changes to SF every time I make a beta -- but the files at SF (and in the
.src.* archives) are not the same as those in my working sources (amongst
other things, the boilerplate is bolted on automatically during export).
So think of SF more as a cache (incomplete -- since there's no src
subtree) for what goes into my *.src.* archives.

> So I suggest that someone who is comfortable with CVS and has the
> appropriate authority, go in and synch up the conflicts....

There are none.  Any attempt to "fix" them will CREATE SOME.  If the jury
requires some kind of proof:

emilia$ pwd
/Users/piumarta/squeak/SF
emilia$ ls
CVS       platforms
emilia$ cvs -qnz3 update
piumarta at cvs.sourceforge.net's password:
emilia$

i.e., no conflicts at all between the sources in my local SF tree
(corresponding to beta11) and those in the repository.

And that concludes the case for the defense, your honour. ;)

Cheers,
Ian