VM config managment problems...

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Sep 10 14:53:21 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 10:36  PM, Ian Piumarta wrote:

>> But just to obsolete things for him, I'll point out that this also
>> makes a difference for 68K machines
>
> Hands up anyone running Unix on a 68k machine...?
>
> Hmm, thought not.  ;)

Wait wait there is hand here in the corner. I've got TWO OpenBsd 68K
boxes running. In fact
  if you go to http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/comments.html  you can
see a swiki on
a Quadra 950 in action. And I know Bruce ONeel  was running a 68K
NetBSD box, see that
makes three!

>> newer machines might not make a difference. Other folks INTEL and ARM
>> might what to check assembler output
>
> Even better, check benchmark times.  Removing instructions has been
> known
> to make things slower.  (Too many hazards in the pipeline end at the
> same
> time.)

Mm that is interesting, have you observed that on the powerpc?

===