www.squeak.org??? (attached page)

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Sep 10 19:43:20 UTC 2003

On Mercredi, sep 10, 2003, at 16:58 Europe/Zurich, Michael van der
Gulik wrote:

> Well, to be honest, complaining is much easier than doing.

:)
Welcome to the club of the doers. You saw ESUG, this is happening just
because a bunch of guys just fight with their wifes, holidays, planning
and schedule but this is worth :) and exhausting.

>  But challenge accepted. What do people think of the attached page
> (half-cooked)? It probably needs some nice pictures, textures,
> (frames, java-script, banner-ads... or not!). I haven't actually made
> 'professional' web pages yet, so I'm feeling my way around blindly
> here...

For me this is a good start, we do not need something special just
effective and with something else that a bad clock turned half-way :)

> Comments from myself about my own work:
>  - direct links to useful things. mailing list archives, downloads,
> the swiki!! ego:=ego+1.
>  - colour scheme feels like I'm swimming. Bad thing? ego:=ego-1.
>  - spacing is still bad; better with more work. Probably needs borders
> etc. ego:=ego-1.
>  - put often-changing-things on swiki. ego:=ego+1.

I would had information for teachers with pointers to the ESUG cd/
markus and squeakland.org

I would like a page on books (cf. squeakland.org page) and the free
books available.

> This is the "first impression" people get of Squeak, so it's fairly
> important that it looks good and that important things are only one or
> two mouse-clicks away. It would also be nice if developers found it
> useful enough to use it whenever they needed something, like a new
> image.

Yes so the style could be improved but use a style sheet so that you
can try different one without changing the contents:
http://www.csszengarden.com/ for see the css in action.

> What do people think of the colours? Does Squeak have it's own typical
> colour scheme?

yes a bit 70e and saying to people to go away and look childish....We
should invent the new ones, be towards the 2100 century. So seriously
produce the best you can and do not care about the colors of squeak.
If you take screen shots please use the extensions of Diego that should
be in 3.7 soon (if I'm not wrong) because
we need to be bright and shining. Put a screenshot of croquet and may
be a pointer to the croquet presentations

Cool michael this is great to see people taking actions.

Stef

> Michael.
>
> ducasse wrote:
>> hi michael
>> Please propose a look and a new pages and gather feedback and this is
>> done.
>> We should not wait for other to do that.
<image.tiff>