About KCP and automatic initialize

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Sep 10 23:52:58 UTC 2003

I asked:
	> I've forgotten, is there any reason to prefer
	>     ^super new initialize
	> to  ^self basicNew initialize
	> The latter has the advantage of not repeating super initialize.

ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
	But you lose the actions done in new in the superclasses.

Yes, that's the POINT of doing it that way,
as "the latter has the advantage of NOT repeating super initialize"
would, I thought, have made clear.

What I'm thinking is that if people go around stuffing up the kernel
making Object new send #initialize, I'm going to have to switch over
to using self basicNew in my toplevel classes instead of super new
precisely to avoid that harassment.