Alpha images on ftp site (was Re: (fwd) [Test-Runner Results]Squeak3.6beta latest update: #5411)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Sep 11 23:36:28 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

>current_stable + current_development symlinks to dirs solves the problem
>I have, and probably is the right thing to do for download links, also.
>Keeping the update stream version names and ftp path names consistent
>seems like the ordered thing to do, even if its not needed.
>
>As long as the release files contain the update number, it doesn't seem
>to me like any ambiguity can come up about which is the latest.

That sounds like it should work.

These two symlinks should probably be in the top directory, too.  E.g.:

Smalltalk/Squeak/current_stable -> Squeak3.5/
Smalltalk/Squeak/current_development -> Squeak3.7alpha/

(neither of these would point to 3.6gamma, by the way)

Dumb question since I've been away from Unix too long... is it possible
to have a symlink to a file? (which is reasonably clear when using an
ftp client?)  Then we could have:

Smalltalk/Squeak/current_stable -> Squeak3.5/Squeak3.5-5180.zip
Smalltalk/Squeak/current_development -> Squeak3.7alpha/Squeak3.7a-5420.zip

which would eliminate all possible confusion. (I think.)  And Daniel's
script wouldn't have to look for the file with the right update number, etc.

- Doug