Documentation, more, more

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 01:17:06 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
>Hi. I think the multiple viewpoints idea is correct, but I disagree
>that there should be a progression from Learners to Programmers (EToys
>to Morphic) - part of our audience is experienced programmers of other
>languages who may or may not have interest in EToys. I think the
>current approach of having two different sites for the different
>viewpoints is pretty good.

The "jump in here" point for experienced programmers would be handled
by the paths or tracks in the Introduction that I described.  I have to
go along with Andreas here, that the transition from the fun easy world
of EToys to the world of programming is extremely important.  I also
think that this is basically a void right now in terms of available
documentation.  Doing the transition in terms of "popping the hood" by
translating scripts to text had not occured to me though.  And what
serious programmer doesn't need an occasional diversion, possibly
facilitated by an educationally reinforcing trip through EToy land?

>I think rather than writing an alternate TOC, it would be good if you
>can just start to refactor the existing ones. That way, when you're
>tired, we don't end up with "yet another half done effort", but simply
>with a better site.

I have to agree with your sentiment here, but I am refering to a
particular one for the currently existing TOC, not a few of them.
It's at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2983 .  It's very good, but
has a slightly different slant than what I propose.  And there are some
definite gaps in the content to really follow a nice comprehensive
progression.