Socket Problems

Lukas Renggli renggli at student.unibe.ch
Fri Sep 12 15:18:34 UTC 2003

Hi,

we've got a production server for an insurance company running a Squeak
3.5 image on the 3.6b6 VM on Debian Linux. Unfortunately there are
mysterious problems with the sockets when accessing PostgreSQL from
within Squeak. We wrote workarounds, that just retry if a connection is
failing, but this isn't helping much anymore.

As it is a critical business application the client is not only
complaining but even beginning to sue for damage, that we are unable to
afford as a little internet agency! This means that *we won't be ever
able to use squeak again* and that we have to go back to other solutions
like Python or ASP.

To the problem: we've got a couple of connections being used by
different threads executing queries on postgres. During heavy load - and
this is where most of the time the problem shows up - there are about
300 queries executed sequentially on one connection by one thread. Most
often, the connections are suddenly closed, even before Squeak starts to
wait for the data.

This was the part, to stress the *urgency* and to explain the background
for the following questions:

1. Are the sockets in Squeak at all being able to be used from different
threads?

2. Could it be that the production server is too fast? We didn't have
those problems on the development machines (macintosh and windows).

3. Should we try another VM, another image, another postgres client?

4. Is there anybody in this mailing-list able to help with that kind of
problems? We are lost and are really fed up with those Squeak sockets!
We would be even willing to pay the one that is able to solve the
problem.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli