Keep deprecated methods for one or two versions? (was Re: Aboutdeprecated methods)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Sep 13 12:16:31 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 06:52:26PM -0400, Doug Way wrote:

> ducasse wrote:
>
> >> We could wait two versions if others feel strongly about it, though.
> >

> > Me too :)
>

> By "Me too" I assume you'd vote to wait two versions?
>
> How do others feel about this?  I still slightly favor waiting just one
> version, but if most folks think we should wait two versions, we could
> do that.

I would have voted for "wait two versions", but...

> > In fact I would favor to remove them all and create a package with
> > them so that people can still load it for documentation purpose.

This is a great idea, so I vote for "wait one version, and save
the removed stuff in a package for documentation purpose."

We will sometimes have packages on SqueakMap that lose their
maintainers, or that just do not get updated very often. By keeping
track of the removed methods as Stef suggested, it will be easier
for a maintainer to fix problems in an older package.

Dave