Documentation, more, more

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Sun Sep 14 11:51:04 UTC 2003

ndreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> I couldn't possibly disagree more here ;) [snip]
Yeah, I misrepresented my point of view.

I have no problem with having *a* transition from eToys to Smalltalk. I
have a problem with converting the minnow swiki to represent it
exclusively, or dominantly. Ideally, we should have multiple transitions
for different people:
- start with eToys for non-programmers
- start with Smalltalk language definition for CS people
- start with the Squeak for Java developers for those...

What I was saying is that I think that the first is handled reasonably
well in squeakland, and that separating the sites is not a bad idea.
Swiki will probably never be quite as friendly to any one POV as a
designed site can be.

However, our current position isn't that we can choose the ideal - our
current position, IMO (after sitting with a friend and looking at it
from a newcomers eyes) is that we have lots of documentation, but its
organization is *horrible*. It almost uniformly is so badly organized as
to give someone from any background the idea that this is not for them.
Some of the persistent problems -
- Documentation pieces are presented in a casual, personal style "A
Newbie's on-going tutorial -- an excellent "give-and-take" project
step-through". The R site nearest equivalent is ""R for Beginners" by
Emmanuel Paradis (PDF [447kB])."
- The tutorials, and even more so, their descriptions, are written in a
style that goes out of date very quickly. " How is this "Swiki" site
implemented? Well, ... An exciting new dimension has recently been added
to the Squeak community with Ward Cunningham's Wiki server concept,".
Yes. The official Squeak documentation page (the first a newcomer is
expected to see anyway) claims that wikis are a new thing. Good
intentions become something interpretable as somewhere between stale and
misleading.
- Multiple TOCs with widely, but non-systematically differing points of
view. (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/377,
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2983,
http://www.squeak.org/documentation/index.html...). The R site
equivalent is an obiquitous navigation bar with the categories
Documentation (dead title)
Manuals
FAQs
Contributed
Newsletter
Help Pages
Publications

Under each, you find the appropriate type of documentation, linked in a
uniform style. They don't cater to specific kinds of users
(statistician, programmers...), but they're still well organized enough
that you decide the format you want, go there, browse through one page,
and are likely to find what you need, or be sure its not there.

That's a much less ambitious goal than multiple transition paths - no
new material is needed, just reorganizing the existing stuff. Of course
the two can be complementary - add each transition path as an extra
title.

Daniel