About current harvesting status

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Sun Sep 14 23:22:37 UTC 2003

Hi everybody. 3.7 has begun, which means we're back to alpha status,
and that should mean fast and furious bug fixing and features
enhancement. This'll be the first cycle in which we have a pretty well
automated process that allows anybody to help out with the process,
and takes out all of the manual accounting, which means Squeak can
evolve faster than ever.

OTOH, this depends completely on people helping out with the process.

Just thought I'd note that there are currently very very few (between 5
and 0(*)) tested ENHs and FIXes in the queue. I'm happy to help with the
harvesting side of things, and I'm often able to do some of the
reviewing required, but I can't, and won't, test *everything* people do.

So, people who want more fixes actually applied are welcome to get the
BFAV from SqueakMap and start testing. Expert reviews are also very
important - when something is in a critical/specialized subsystem, I
shy from harvesting stuff unless someone familiar with that subsystem
has weighed in on it. When I remove my *[et]* filter, there's plenty of
items for everybody to work on... ;-)

Another thing I thought I'd mention - sometimes fixes are posted with no
clue as to how to test them. This is really too bad, because for the
person fixing the bug it is pretty trivial to describe at least a manual
process for testing (of course, SUnit tests are even better), but for
someone else to reverse engineer such a fix can be difficult, and is
really a waste of time.

(*) There are 5 items there, 3 have outstanding problems, and 2 I'm not
sure about. Zero items that obviously "should be included", and are tested.

Daniel