About KCP and automatic initialize

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Sep 15 18:52:24 UTC 2003

Hi all,

After reading all the posts on this topic with interest, here what's
beginning to become clear to me. Although there would be some benefit
in having a standard pattern for initialization, it wouldn't be great
enough to justify the chaos of migrating to it.

Making this change would create an *enormous* number of bugs. A lot of
them would be easy to find and fix, sure. Others will be more subtle.
And this is pretty much an "all or nothing" change. Unlike, say, the
network rewrite, you can't have both mechanisms in place at the same
time and gradually move things over.

During the transition period, we'd have a lot of really ugly code
written by people who want to have their package work in both the old
system and the new system. Remember all the little work-arounds to
avoid deprecation warnings? This will be worse:

new
	^ self systemSendsInitialize
			ifTrue: [super new]
			ifFalse: [super new initialize]