Some MC questions

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Tue Sep 16 17:01:57 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Under version 13 -
>
> A. I get strange debuggers and syntax error notification with WeakSets
> when merging an mcz file into an empty package. Is this a known issue?
> if not I'll document it better and rereport.
>
> B. Doing the above merge, I get a conflict about the new class
> categories introduced, which isn't really a conflict, is it?
>
> C. After doing keep, the working copy is marked dirty, while in fact it
> is identical to the package merged (I think). Any reason?

I won't answer the other two points as Avi or Colin would be better able
to do so, but I can answer this one.  When you merge a version into your
working copy, you are incorporating the changes between that version and
  your closest common ancestor.  You then add that version as an
ancestor of your working copy.

But your working copy is still modified relative to its primary ancestor.

So if I load A, and then merge in B (which was descended from A), my
working copy is W and contains (relative to A) a bunch of changes from B
  and whatever other changes I may have made.  If I was to do a diff
between A (my primary ancestor) and myself, I would see changes, and
therefore my working copy is modified.

If you actually want your working copy to be identical to B, you should
use Load instead of Merge.  I have suggested to Avi that having a button
that loads when your working copy is previously unmodified and merges
when it's modified would be a good idea to reduce the need for users to
know the differences.  But before we can do this we need a more reliable
system of noticing when changes are made to the package (we can't catch
class changes at the moment, for example).

Julian

julian at beta4.com
Beta4 Productions (http://www.beta4.com)