Some MC questions

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Sep 16 18:33:57 UTC 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Under version 13 -
>
> A. I get strange debuggers and syntax error notification with WeakSets
> when merging an mcz file into an empty package. Is this a known issue?
> if not I'll document it better and rereport.

I've seen it occassionally as well.  I have no idea why it happens.  If
you have a way of reliably reproducing it, that would be useful.

> B. Doing the above merge, I get a conflict about the new class
> categories introduced, which isn't really a conflict, is it?

Why are you merging into an empty package rather than simply loading?

Anyway, no, class categories shouldn't conflict.  The problem is that the
OrganizationDefinition is treated as one atomic definition - so if two
people add or remove categories concurrently it'll show up as a conflict.
I'm not sure what the best way of solving this is - since I want to keep
the category order, I don't want to split them up into independent
CategoryDefinitions.  Perhaps certain kinds of definitions can be made to
know how to resolve their conflicts automatically.

> C. After doing keep, the working copy is marked dirty, while in fact it
> is identical to the package merged (I think). Any reason?

The dirty flag is really crude right now - basically any time a method is
compiled in the package it gets set.  So it's always only a hint as to
whether or not the package is really dirty.  The Changes button is a
better indicator.

(The Changes button, by the way, gives you the changes *relative to the
selected repository*.  So you'll get a different patch depending on what
you have selected).