About KCP and automatic initialize

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Sep 17 00:47:02 UTC 2003

  Hello,

  I can live in either way (automatic #initialize or
not).  So my position is... no position, in a way.

  But, *if* we are going to do this:

> First, you can still write mostly-ANSI code to be portable by writing
> your new methods as follows:
>
> 	new
> 		^self basicNew initialize

  I'd suggest again, following Aoki-san's, that

	new
		^self basicNew initialize; yourself

would be more 'novice-friendly'.  When I was a novice (I'm definitely
not an expert yet.), I was spending time to find out what to return
from #initialize.  By putting #yourself, the return value of the
#initialize method becomes insiginificant.

  Just $0.02,

-- Yoshiki