3.6g-5420 full? basic? questions

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Sep 17 21:36:54 UTC 2003

Michael Roberts wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I thought I would grab the 3.6gamma-5420 image and I am confused by whether this is a full or basic or whatever image.  I kindof lost track of all those discussions.

That one is currently just a Basic image, but that's not the "real"
gamma candidate image yet.

I'm planning on putting together a couple of real gamma candidate images
tonight, a Full image and a Basic image, which have the traditional
cleanups performed (removing old changesets, etc.).

(I mentioned this in a squeak-dev email last night, but it was in the
DeprecationPreference thread so I wasn't expecting everyone to keep
track of that. :-)  Once I create these gamma images I'll send out a
more official announcement.)

>The thing is if you click on any of web hypertext links none of them load because there isn't a web browser available.  So the "Welcome to..." page is weak at least and the Worlds of Squeak/Network ditto.
>
>If this image is intented for public/newbie consumption then these links need to work.  If this is a minimal image then it should say something to this effect.

Right.  The Full image (which will include Scamper) will be the default
image which newbies will be encouraged to use, so this shouldn't be an
issue.

You bring up a good point that this stuff is not really documented
anywhere right now.  Some things like the harvesting process are
reasonably well documented on the swiki, but the notions of Full and
Basic image, and the 3.6 release content/schedule are not documented
much at all, outside of random emails on this list.

After I create the gamma images I'll try to add & integrate this info on
the swiki.

- Doug