music editing / decomposition

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Sep 19 00:58:45 UTC 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 07:51:04PM -0400, Juan M Vuletich wrote:
> Hi,
>

> A FFT (actually a you need a windowed Fourier transform) won't have
> enough joint time and frequency resolution at both high an low
> frequencies.  A continuous wavelet transform could be used for the
> analysis,

How does a continuous wavelet transform differ from a discrete one?
I'm only familiar with the latter.

> but it can't reconstruct signals, so it can't be used if
> you want to rebuild the different sounds. A discrete wavelet
> transform won't have enough frequency resolution. So, it's an open
> problem, and there is currently a lot on research on it. This very
> problem has been my obsession for the last couple of years, and I
> have just presented a paper with new results on August at the SPIE's
> Wavelets-X conference in San Diego. (I can send the pdf file to any
> interested.)

Me, please.

> Of course, this is just the analysis and reconstruction of the
> signals, in middle you need some sort of AI, fuzzy logic, neural
> nets or such to do the actual separation of the sounds.

Hm, interesting.  What would your training set consist of?  Pairs
of multi-track music clips and a single track from the same clip?

Hopefully I'll have smarter questions to ask once I've read your
paper. :-)

> Cheers,
> Juan
>
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:18:21 -0500, Daniel Joyce wrote:
>
> >On Thursday 18 September 2003 11:40, Gary McGovern wrote:
> >> Thanks for all those links and resources. I'm more than surprised this
> >> isn't more evolved. I thought if the human ear could selectively pick out a
> >> track in a composition / song then that track has its own unique state and
> >> behavior and it would just be a matter of defining the state and behavior
> >> and identifying those tracks electronically.

And similarly that if the human visual system can infer shape
information from the the shading of an object, then getting a computer
to do the same would just be a matter of... ;-)

People are very good at doing some very hard things. (no pedantry intended :-)

Joshua