"layered" language approach (was: Re: Constructors (was: RE: About KCP and automatic initialize))

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Fri Sep 19 05:22:28 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Brian T Rice wrote:

> (Omitted musings that amount to "What meaning do macros have outside of
> the Cult of the Dead?"
> (see http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/CultOfDead))

I hadn't spotted that page.  Thanks!

(Omitted interesting musings about Slate, since I was really asking
about how it might work in a quite different context.)

> > (How does Clean/Haskell deal with this?  [I suppose I should just go look
> > it up. ;])
>
> They don't: standard Clean and Haskell's sugarings are generally
> statically defined with the language,

Yes, I just figured this out from their web site.

> and of course they are part of the "Cult of the Dead", building their
> heaps from declarations in files.

So maybe the declarations would be better off in a code repository,
available equally to an offline compiler and an interactive one?

Ian