music editing / decomposition

Gary McGovern zeppy at australia.edu
Sat Sep 20 14:08:11 UTC 2003

Dear Juan,
Thanks a lot. I would be happy to receive your pdf paper.
Bye
Gary

>Hi,
>
>A FFT (actually a you need a windowed Fourier transform) won't have enough
joint time and frequency resolution at both high an low frequencies.
>A continuous wavelet transform could be used for the analysis, but it
can't reconstruct signals, so it can't be used if you want to rebuild the
different sounds. A discrete
>wavelet transform won't have enough frequency resolution. So, it's an open
problem, and there is currently a lot on research on it. This very problem
has been my
>obsession for the last couple of years, and I have just presented a paper
with new results on August at the SPIE's Wavelets-X conference in San
Diego. (I can send the
>pdf file to any interested.)
>
>Of course, this is just the analysis and reconstruction of the signals, in
middle you need some sort of AI, fuzzy logic, neural nets or such to do the
actual separation of the
>sounds.
>
>Cheers,
>Juan
>
>On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:18:21 -0500, Daniel Joyce wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 18 September 2003 11:40, Gary McGovern wrote:
>>> Thanks for all those links and resources. I'm more than surprised this
>>> isn't more evolved. I thought if the human ear could selectively pick
out a
>>> track in a composition / song then that track has its own unique state
and
>>> behavior and it would just be a matter of defining the state and
behavior
>>> and identifying those tracks electronically.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>

>>The problem is, music is the sum of all the frequency, harmonics, and
phase
>>information in it.
>>
>>If I give you the number 100, can you tell what numbers I summed or
multiplied
>>to arrive at that number? 100x1? 20x5? 4x20+20? It's impossible to tell,
the
>>information is lost in the process. :)
>>
>>Now with music, that isn't entirely true. But, yer gonna need to do some
work.
>>You're probably going to need to work in the Frequency domain ( so use a
FFT,