Change records considered harmful [was: Re: Removing obsoleteclasses from 3.6gamma]

Michael Rueger michael at squeakland.org
Sun Sep 21 09:28:14 UTC 2003

Doug Way wrote:

> Anyway, one prohlem that comes up in the current 3.6g-5420 image from
> the ftp site is that "Smalltalk obsoleteClasses" is non-empty.  Three
> instances of obsolete classes come up if I inspect this.  Here they are:
>
> an OrderedCollection(AnObsoleteSMTPSocket
> AnObsoleteInternetConfiguration AnObsoleteKeyedMessageSet)

In the scripts I sent out a while ago there was some part about cleaning
up Preferences, that might help.

The reference to SMTPSocket is burried deep inside ChangeSet
5248SqueakMapBase-gh, objects pointing to this value eventually leads
you there. Destroying that change set and gc'ing removes the reference
to the obsolete class (and the class itself, of course ;-) )

Michael