[NIT] Managing repositories in MC

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Sun Sep 21 20:02:31 UTC 2003

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> I've added this repository to the ViewMC instance at
> modules.squeakfoundation.org/mc, so that people can browse diffs between
> Refactory versions, etc.
Cool. I was going to ask you to do that, so I can see whether I like it.

> It would be nice to get inter-repository diffing going as well, so that
> one could easily view your changes to Goran's SM code.
That makes sense.

> Is there anything else that people would like added to ViewMC?  Is it at
> all useful?
Well I haven't used it yet, really. What do you use it for/did you
intend it for?

> Ken Causey mentioned wanting to be able to browse the actual code
> online...

I dont yet get the role for a web based tool, except that it might be
easier for people coming into the development of a package to see the
changes between versions.

I really must say after a couple of days using the 20 version that
having http repositories for other people's (Gorans') code, and an ftp
one for my own public is simply wonderful. I can just open Gorans'
latest and get the changes. The mcz format is nice in that I don't have
to think about compression. The fact that loading stuff using them makes
the MC entries appear is very useful.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is saving the MC tools state in a file -
instead of recreating the repositories/packages in each new image, save
em and load them by default.

Another thing which I'd like but am not sure whats the best way to do is
"open new versions" - suppose I'm working on Refactory, and I know there
are two other people that have MC repositories where they occaisonally
post patches. Would be nice to have an option that sees what their most
recent work is, and for each package that isn't among my versions'
ancestors, shows it in a list.

I'm still not at the point where I really need it, because I don't have
a high-turnaround collaborative project, but I do see the need for it.

Daniel