Arbitrary fonts on m17n (or: w3m- a new web browser for Squeak?)

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Mon Sep 22 04:23:33 UTC 2003

Hello all,

Time for a bit of that crazy speculation and day dreaming that you have
all come to expect from me!

Some of you may have heard of the text-mode web browser w3m- it's rather
like Lynx and Links. It works nicely under Ian's Vt100 terminal in Squeak.

Appaerently, due to the way an m17n multilingual terminal works- like
kterm on X11- support for displaying images can be added to web browsers
like w3m, and someone was crazy enough to actually do it!  Images from the
site are passed to the terminal for display, encoded as a font.  Cool
hack!

Being on my eternal quest of eschewing everything but Squeak, this piece
has the potential of completing a large part of the puzzle.  I already
only need the host gui for Squeak and a decent web browser, and w3m-img is
pretty decent.

My question? Can we do this in Squeak without a tremendous amiunt of
effort?

Some resources:
http://squeaklet.com:8080/m17n (although, it looks to be down now)
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/756

Regards,
Aaron

--
  "the end of the human race will be that it will eventually
      die of civilization. "                          :: r. w. emerson