[NIT] Managing repositories in MC

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Sep 22 06:45:24 UTC 2003

On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 10:33 PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

>  This came up in a repository where the first version committed was a
> released version of an existing package with some modifications (can't
> remember whether it was seaside or what).  When I discovered this, I
> was annoyed that there was no version as an ancestor that was
> identical to the last version in the previous source code management
> system.  But I realized there was no possible way to find every
> version info on the planet and correct them to contain the new
> ancestry.
>
> Don't really see an obvious solution but thought I'd mention it so
> others were aware of it as well.  I wonder whether this is another
> artifact of my CVS-mindset?  Does everyone else think being able to
> tweak ancestry like that is unnecessary or just a useful tradeoff?

Interesting question.

It depends when you catch the problem.  If there aren't yet many
downstream versions, you could "merge"  (probably using Adopt) the
external ancestor and your most recent modified version.  That way any
subsequent versions would at least have the external version in their
ancestry tree, and if changes were later made in the external
repository, you could merge them in properly.

If you wanted to do this many versions and branches later, I can see it
being a bit of a problem.  But I'm also quite certain that the gains of
shipping the ancestry with every version *far* outweigh the ability to
fudge ancestry after the fact.