Monticello repository structure

Mark A. Schwenk mas at wellthot.com
Mon Sep 22 07:27:53 UTC 2003

As the number of packages and versions stored in Monticello grows, it
would be helpful to have more structure in the repository to help manage
it.

For a start, how about creating directories under the top level
repository directory with names based on the package names in that
repository. The names should probably exactly match the actual package
names, including case.

For example, http://beta4.com/mc/ could be the root of a repository that
is used for multiple packages and have the packages in subdirectories
such as

	http://beta4.com/mc/Seaside/
	http://beta4.com/mc/Kom/
	http://beta4.com/mc/KomServices/
	http://beta4.com/mc/Seaside/
	http://beta4.com/mc/Seaside/

Having more structure would help when building user interfaces to browse
repositories and locate package versions. It would also make things more
manageable as we create shared repositories that are holding hundreds or
thousands of versions of hundreds or thousands of packages.

If we do introduce Bundles as another type of object to store in the
repository, we might want separate top-level directories for Packages
and Bundles.

	http://beta4.com/mc/Package/Seaside/
	http://beta4.com/mc/Bundle/SeasideTantalusMySQL/

-Mark