Assignments to nil...

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Sep 23 08:19:57 UTC 2003

Bob Arning  <arning at charm.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:30:06 +0100  goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> >Now, my question: Is there any to me yet unknown good reason for having
> >all these "yaddayadda _ nil" in this method?
> >
> >It is an #initialize method which AFAIK is only called upon creation. So
> >the instvars are already set to nil.
> >
> >Just wondering if I have missed anything...
>
> Well, it confirms that the author did not forget to initialize something.

That is true. But it sure disturbs me that code is being run that is
totally unnecessary! :-)
How about putting those assignments inside a comment? Is that bad style?
It is only me that is annoyed by this? I mean - we are losing *cycles*
here! ;-) (sure, probably wouldn't even show up in a benchmark but
anyway)

> Cheers,
> Bob

regards, Göran