Monticello: Package and Repository

Lukas Renggli renggli at student.unibe.ch
Wed Sep 24 10:39:02 UTC 2003

> After entered the info related to a repository, I can load in my image
> some packages stored on it. But, each loaded package does not have any
> reference to the repository where they came from. This mean when I
> want to save my package, I need to enter again the info for the
> repository.

- deselect any selected package
- middle-click on the repository you want to assign to a package
- click on 'add to package ...'

Avi, I really like the new behaviour with the repositories assigned
directly to the packages: it is nearly impossible to store a package
into the wrong repository now, what happened to me several times with
earlier Monticello versions.

Still, I don't like the way to open an existing version: we've got
repositories that contain more than 500 versions of different packages
and it is very annoying to look for the latest version:

- In my opinion the entries should be ordered in reverse direction with
the version number, so the biggest number is on top and the lowest at
the bottom. If there are several versions of the same package with the
same number they should be ordered according to the authors initials.
Correct me if I am wrong, but this doesn't seem to be the current
behaviour of HTTPRepository.

- The available versions should be filtered to the selected package, so
only versions of this package are visible; if there is no package
selected the list should show all the packages as in the current version.
In our case this would shrink the list of files to at most about 100
entries.

- Still there are far too much entries in that list. So I suggest to
display only the 10 versions with the biggest numbers and preselect the
'latest' one, as it is very likely that the user wants to load that. An
additional menu-item called 'all versions' should allow to see the wohle
list.

Ok, this are just a few ideas, some of them have been probably already
discussed in the list. If you want me to implement them, just ask :)

Btw, I updated my Monticello-SeaMan-Web-Interface to support
repositories and to work the current Monticello release. I really like
the way how easily it is possible integrate the model into a different
ui, however - and I'm complaining again about the same thing - opening
versions was not that easy as I expected as one can't call #morphicOpen
to archive this task. What I did was to write a class extension with the
message #seasideOpen:, but this doesn't seem to be very clean as some of
the code is then duplicated form #morphicOpen. I would rather prefer
calling a message #open that throws a notification to collect the
necessary data from the gui and keep the repository-model clean, exactly
as it is done when saving a version to a repository.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli