Scheduling latency and an introduction

Lee Azzarello lee at eds.org
Wed Sep 24 17:17:09 UTC 2003

Hello, I work with a national news radio/television program called Democracy
Now. We do a lot of time-based programming since we have many syndicated
stations most with automated scheduling systems. I've developed an NTP
network on our LAN and I'm in the process of constructing a large display
clock for the control room so there's no question as to What Time It Is.

In a classic DIY fashion, I was unimpressed with the various Free/Shareware
Windows clock programs floating around on the internet so I thought Squeak
would be a good way to make a customized clock display that's infinitely
tweakable. Conviently I found the default clock widget, which was a good
place to start.

Here's the nit picking. How does squeak deal with latency and how does it
interface with the Windows system clock? Our NTP network is fairly new and
it's still developing sync, but the display of the Windows system clock is
quite inconsistant with the display of the Squeak clock (measured by watching
the seconds ticker). I can think of some possible explainations for this but
I don't really know enough about these kind of details to feel informed.

--
Lee Azzarello
Jabber IM: a3ulafia at jabber.org
work voice: 212-431-9090