For Smalltalk, SmalltalkImage and the rest

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Sep 24 18:28:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, ducasse wrote:

> Proposal three:
> 	Squeak := SmalltalkImage default "somewhere"
>
> 	and in the method
> 	Squeak vmPath
>
> I would favor proposal three even if I do not like global variable.
> Note that once SystemDictionary is cleaned with **could** reuse
> Smalltalk.

My two cents:

Of the choices you provide, definitely proposal three.  You may not "like"
global variables, but this is what globals are *for*.  I mean, there is
only, ever, one SmalltalkImage instance in the, well, in the image - by
definition.  There's simply no sense in putting an extra layer of
indirection in there.