For Smalltalk, SmalltalkImage and the rest

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Sep 25 12:54:01 UTC 2003

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, ducasse wrote:
>
> > Proposal three:
> > 	Squeak := SmalltalkImage default "somewhere"
> >
> > 	and in the method
> > 	Squeak vmPath
> >
> > I would favor proposal three even if I do not like global variable.
> > Note that once SystemDictionary is cleaned with **could** reuse
> > Smalltalk.
>
> My two cents:
>
> Of the choices you provide, definitely proposal three.  You may not "like"
> global variables, but this is what globals are *for*.  I mean, there is
> only, ever, one SmalltalkImage instance in the, well, in the image - by
> definition.  There's simply no sense in putting an extra layer of
> indirection in there.

I agree. Note though that this will be a "Squeak specific" global. But
perhaps that is exactly what we want - when porting Squeak code using
this global it will be very easy to create such a Class/Global in the
other dialect and then in there redirect the calls properly for that
dialect.

regards, Göran