[Babel] Looking for more translators

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com diegogomezdeck at consultar.com
Thu Sep 25 20:55:42 UTC 2003

Hi Stef,

> I'm evaluating the effort and we are discussing about it with serge and
>  others.
> The idea is that we would like to have a Squeak in french. But I would
> like to know
> if this effort will not be thrown away when new balloon help and other
> new english text
> will be included. I guess not but could you explain us how you see that
>  situation.

The biggest risk in my eyes is if  Babel get not included in Squeak.  Babel
is an almost trivial piece of code but it impacts all over Squeak.
Basically each "visible" string has to received the #translated message and,
as you can imagine, it means changes all over the image.

The translations are hold in each language instance in a dictionary and we
have support for merging dictionaries, etc. so the risk is not at this part.

One time Babel got included in Squeak every package maintainer can make the
package "translatable" just sending #translated to the gui's strings.

I'd like to know which type of opportunity (if any) Babel has to be included
for 3.7.  What the guides think about? What the other potential translators
do?

> Stef

As you can see I have more questions than answers.

Cheers,

Diego
http://www.small-land.org