3.6g for linux becomes "sluggish": one more then I'll shut up

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Fri Sep 26 02:26:56 UTC 2003

Ian,

Ian Piumarta writes:

 > I see the same behaviour as yourself in the above image.  Hitting Cmd-.
 > after it becomes sluggish cures the problem.  The resulting debugger stack
 > contains
 >
 >   Socket>>waitForAcceptFor:
 >   [] in X11Server>>serverLoop
 >   BlockContext:on:do:
 >   [] in X11Server>>serverLoop
 >   BlockContext>>repeat
 >   X11Server>>serverLoop
 >   [] in X11Server>>startServerProcess
 >   [] in BlockContext>>newProcess
 >
 > Aborting the debugger restores normality.  Your problem would therefore
 > appear to be related to X11Server's serverLoop.

How embarassing.  I didn't see it in the process browser so I assumed
that it wasn't running.  I'll have a look tomorrow but I'm sure I must
have had my eyes crossed.

 > Ian
 >
 > PS: I'm curious as to why you're going to so much trouble to connect to X
 >     (in this case by implementing huge chunks of the X protocol).  Seems
 >     like a more general (and portable) solution would be to create a
 >     tiny plugin to create a graphics surface that opens and then renders
 >     into a X11 window.  Andreas posted example code for Windows a while back.

Hmm...the code you mention is the very beginning of an implementation
an X server in Squeak.  That's a lot different than what you described
(which sounds like a client which relies on an existing X server).
This way I can open an xterm and emacs right inside a morphic project
with squeak as the X server and the window manager.  I'm really just
playing around in hopes of learning to use Squeak...but I don't think
it duplicates any existing Squeak work and it might even be useful.
Ut would be a free X server for all of the platforms which support
squeak.  Also, I'm starting to see that I can do a lot of cool things
with squeak, enough, in fact that I might want to use Squeak as my
actual desktop (get rid of X and use the fb display option).
Unfortunately I can't do without my X apps...this project might
provide a solution.  Actually I don't see myself dropping XFree86 but
it's nice to think that I could if I wanted ;-)

As you might have noticed, I have bits of X client code as well.  This
is for two reasons: first it is useful to be able to see what XFree86
gives me in response to X requests.  Doing this via Xlib looses a lot
of interesting information.  Second it is quite easy once I had the
server side there.

I'm handing it off to a student soon since I'm not really in a
position to work on things like this during the semester.  If he gets
it done great, if not I might have at it again next summer.  I'm not
really committing myself to completing it but I did enjoy starting it
out.  It's been a while since I used squeak and the tools have
improved a lot.

Thanks for looking at the image and sorry for wasting your time :-)

David