[Babel] Looking for more translators

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com diegogomezdeck at consultar.com
Fri Sep 26 07:38:26 UTC 2003

Hi Doug,

[snip]
>>I'd like to know which type of opportunity (if any) Babel has to be
>>included for 3.7.  What the guides think about? What the other
>>potential translators do?
>>

> It sounds like there's enough interest that it should at least be
> considered/discussed.
>
> Would including Babel in 3.7 mean that we would just add a
> String>>translated method and some associated support (a pretty small
> change, probably a good idea assuming people like the implementation of
>  Babel) ?

This means:

- a couple of methods in String (#translated and #translatedTo: aLanguage)

- a couple of methods in String (#format:) to avoid concatenation of strings
where the order make sense only in english. Example:

        'Really delete ' , localDir printString , '?'
becomes:
        'Really delete {1}?' translated format: {localDir printString}

- the Language class and subclasses (Spanish, English, French, etc)

- the LanguageEditor (aka the translator's tool)

- Some small modifications in current eToys translation support

> Or, would we also want to convert all "visible" strings in the 3.7 UI
> to  receive the #translated message (a bigger change, not as sure about
> this) ?

Both are needed, the first option is not so helpful if you can't translate
the image.  We (Small-Land) have changesets to transform a virgin 3.5 image
into a translatable-3.5.

The change is big but almost trivial.

I can spend the time to produce a changeset (or some changesets) but I need
some type of confidence that my job get not ignored again.  I really have a
*LOT* of things to do for our project with LinEx and I don't want to waste
it if Babel has not an opportunity.

This is the reason why I'm asking for feedback just using the Small-Land
image and the steps (written in english) in http://swiki.agro.uba.
ar/small_land/191

> - Doug

Cheers,