[Babel] Looking for more translators

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com diegogomezdeck at consultar.com
Fri Sep 26 11:09:30 UTC 2003

Hi Göran,

>> Take ButtonPropertiesMorph>>rebuild as an example, there you can see a
>> StringMorph that receive:
>>
>>     'Button Properties for ',myTarget name
>>
>> As you can guess we will need some extra support in StringMorph (and
>> other) to handle this case.  In the Spanish translation using babel we
>> choose this option:
>>
>>    'Button Properties for {1}' translated format: {myTarget name}
>
> Hmmm, without doing much thought my first reaction is that "Oh, the
> code will get much more complex.". The original line is just a concat
> of two Strings. The second new version includes an embedded syntax
> "{1}" and a format: message - sure, not much but still more complex.

The result are also fundamentally different. The first version works fine
only for English, the second can be translated to any language.

Anyway there only a few of these cases, In the Spanish translation we have
1843 phrases and only 41 need the #format: complexity (and some of them are
Babel's phrases :)).

> I am not trying to be negative here (really)

I don't fell you're negative at all.

> but do we really need to
> be "invasive"? I have a faint memory of some cool thing Andreas did a
> while back in which you could translate literal Strings directly in the
> browser (or something, haven't dug it up).

Any suggestion is welcome!

> regards, Göran
>
> PS. Anyway, keep up the good work and all that. :-)

Thanks, I'll continue on it :-)

Cheers,

Diego Gomez Deck
http://www.small-land.org