Squeak on Solaris

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Sep 26 13:13:14 UTC 2003

Julian Fitzell <julian at beta4.com> wrote:
>   Has anyone had any long-running applications deployed on solaris?  Any
> problems with sockets or file descriptors or... anything else?

Georgia Tech has used Solaris machines for Swikis.  They work great,
though there are two issues I remember from the top of my head:

	1. The default limit on file descriptiors is about 64, which is really
tight for a busy Swiki.  So play with limit or ulimit if necessary.

	2. Solaris primitives seem to get interrupted much more easily than on
Linux.  The particular place I remember bumping into this was doing
readdir's on an NFS directory; it is more important on Solaris that
system calls from the Squeak VM handle EINTR than it is on Linux.

-Lex