Printing solutions?

Lukas Renggli renggli at student.unibe.ch
Sat Sep 27 20:52:09 UTC 2003

Hi Jen,

> Just wondering what people are doing for printing.  Is there a good
> way  from Squeak?  I'd like to be able to print forms and reports,
> like what  one might do from an Access application.  If there is no
> way to print  flexibility from within Squeak, is there a way to
> interface with an  external application to print?

I would suggest that you have a look at SPDF, a framework that enables
Squeak to generate PDF files. We are using this framework to create
dynamic reports from within our web-applications. These reports are
either written directly to the socket-stream, if the user wants to
download them, or they are written out as a file, if they should be
printed.

The printing is done using OSProcess calling Cups: we have bought an
additional commercial print-driver for Linux that allows to print those
pdf-files using a high-end printer. Therefor the task of Squeak is to
generate the pdf and to build the right command-string to tell Cups how
the pages should be printed (single, duplex, booklet, etc.) and ordered
in the output-slots.

Cheers,
Lukas

--