About Self implicit receiver

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Sep 28 16:28:59 UTC 2003

Hi

I need the wisdom and knowledge of a Self expert. In the manual it is
written:

	"Unary, binary, and keyword messages are frequently written without an
explicit receiver. Such
messages use the current receiver (self) as the implied receiver. The
method lookup, however, begins
at the current activation object rather than the current receiver.
Thus, a message sent explicitly to self is not equivalent to an
implicit-receiver send because the former won't search local slots
before searching the receiver."

And I have problems to get an example showing the difference.

thanks in advance

Stef