Erlang (was: Re: Generics)

Blaine Buxton blainebuxton at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:53:13 UTC 2003

Hey,
I've been reading up on Erlang myself. They have an approach where
everything is a process and you send messages to these processes. Just
imagine having a separate process for each Squeak object. They argue that
processes should be as easy to create as objects. You would think this would
kill performance, but actually, the systems they have written in it scale
very well (the web server they wrote in Erlang can handle 10x the capacity
of a Apache server, if I remember correctly). They also boast numbers of
99.99999% availablity for the Ericsson switch that was written in mostly
Erlang. Now, those boasts are what got me interested. It is a functional
language and they are big on no mutable state like most functional
languages. They argue that Erlang makes multi-processing easy and in fact
easier than single process systems. They seem very anti-OO on their list,
but I have found that the whole process thing maps very well to objects.
But, I haven't gotten that far. It just seems they have been scarred by the
{} crowd and static typed OO systems.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to really get much deeper than that. I
bought the book and have been working through some of the examples. They do
a lot with pattern matching and it's made me think about certain programming
topics differently.

I know I wasn't the person you were asking for the answer, but I thought I'd
chime in.
Blaine Buxton
My Amps: Smalltalk, Lisp, and Ruby
http://www.blainebuxton.com