3.6gamma candidate image available

Mike Roberts mike at mjr104.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 11:23:29 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:12:58AM -0400, Doug Way wrote:

> On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 05:46 PM, Mike Roberts wrote:
>
> > I was playing around in the image testing things and I noticed
> > something odd with URL links.
>
> Good point, I created the 'Basic' and 'Full' links more recently than
> the 'VM' link, and I guess they are different.  TextURL would seem like
> the right type of link for this, actually.  I just tried testing the
> 'VM' link in the 3.6gamma1-basic image (which doesn't include Scamper),
> and it gets a MessageNotUnderstood.  Probably the TextURL behavior
> should be improved so that it doesn't bother prompting you to open a
> browser if one is already present.

yes, good idea.

> > Sometimes, when you move the mouse the dialog is automatically
> > confirmed.  Sometimes it is automatically canceled.  I'm not sure
> > where this is happening but I am not clicking on either of the options
> > so I'm not sure if an event is being generated somewhere.
>
> Hmm, I think I've also seen this odd behavior once or twice with this
> dialog, but I'm not able to get it to happen reliably right now.  (I
> might have seen it only on Windows... I wouldn't be surprised if it was
> machine/performance dependent...)

I'll check my VM and platforms.  I am getting this problem on Win2K but I will check on WinXP as well.  I don't have a desktop unix to hand but someone might like to check if anything strange is happening.  If it doesn't get mentioned then it might be a localised issue.

> > The logic probably just needs to be tidied up here.
>
> Yes.  Patches welcome. ;-)

I'll have a look at this for 3.7.

> > I'm not sure how best to debug these links.  Is there a quick way to
> > get up the contents of the special action?  I resorted to inspecting
> > through the run array and finding the correct Text objects for each
> > one.
>
> To see the contents of the special action, you need to highlight the
> entire link first, then bring up the alt-6 menu and select "Edit hidden
> info".  Select "be a weburl link" to change it back to a TextURL.
>
> (Yes, the alt-6 menu is pretty obscure... it should be made accessible
> via the mouse only if needed.)

hmm.. I'll check.  I did look at the hidden info but it said something along the lines of 'no hidden info'.  I agree that this needs more work.

> Not sure exactly, except that it's probably event-related.  Also, I'd
> guess this bug has probably been there quite awhile, probably since 3.0
> or maybe it's always been there.  So, it won't likely get fixed for
> 3.6. :-)
no, that's cool.  It looks like it's going to require some detective work.

>I think I have seen this behavior myself, too... I'm guessing
> it only shows up on somewhat slower machines?

Yes, well.. hmm.  I'm trying to think when I first noticed it.  It might have been around for a while.  I don't play around in the Welcome window that often.  My 2000 machine is not that slow but I was surprised at the freecell lag/issue.  I'll try and look into that as well.

> Anyway, thanks for all of the testing.
No bother, the least I can do.

Cheers

Mike