Problems with sockets on 3.7alpha #5423

Phil Hargett hargettp at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 30 11:35:50 UTC 2003

Lessee, file timestamps:

	[Phil-Hargetts-Computer:~/src/squeak/squeak] phil% ls -l
platforms/unix/plugins/SocketPlugin
	total 80
	drwxr-xr-x  5 phil  staff    170 Sep 24 20:01 CVS
	-rw-r--r--  1 phil  staff  37721 Sep 16 03:56 sqUnixSocket.c

And:

	[Phil-Hargetts-Computer:~/src/squeak/squeak] phil% ls -l
platforms/unix/vm/aio*
	-rw-r--r--  1 phil  staff  8091 Sep 24 21:09 platforms/unix/vm/aio.c
	-rw-r--r--  1 phil  staff  4254 Sep  1 04:31 platforms/unix/vm/aio.h

So, it looks like I do have different timestamps than you're posting.

Re CVS vs. your tarballs: I completely believe yours are more reliable.
  Last year on my Debian laptop, I used your tarballs exclusively.  Now
I'm on a PowerBook with Mac OS X, I'd rather compile a native Mac OS X
app than fire up X11 to run Squeak, so I assumed that I should choose
"Mac OS" as my platform.  Of course, not only is unix an available
platform, but it appears to have solved part of my problem in this case
(e.g., aio.*).

I much more suspect that I munged the Project Builder file after
pulling it from the platforms/"Mac OS"/vm/Developer directory.  I
started with the SqueakVMForCarbon.pbproj, but had to modify it as my
source tree didn't quite seem to match the structure expected by the
project.  After adjusting the locations of several folders and adding
in the aio stuff (and adding '#include "sq.h" to aio.c, IIRC), things
started to compile.  Should I still have started with your tarballs to
get the Carbon support, too, and a Project Builder project?

Although I would be more than happy to send you runnable source just to
test for the bug I found, I much more suspect that this is a problem
caused by the build process.  I wouldn't want you to waste time chasing
down a bug that's most likely either not your Unix code or even present
in the most recent versions of that code. That is, I believe it would
make more sense to make sure the .pbproj works more "out of the box,"
so that all the right sources are compiled from the beginning.  Of
course, if CVS doesn't have the right sources, that's another issue,
but at least building from a source tree would be a great start.

??