Report from a novice VM h4x0r.

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 1 02:03:34 UTC 2004

Alan Grimes <alangrimes at starpower.net> wrote:

> If anyone wants to play with the changes I have made so far is welcome
> to e-mail me off list for my current code,
If you can swear on your favourite copy of Byte that it's commented
well enough for someone else to understand, send me a copy. Maybe I'll
even spot the problem.

> Be warned, it is known to be broken so only try it piece by piece... A
> VM generated directly from it will likley segfault.
>
> Performance wise, I have not been very careful testing but I beleive
> that there are enough "gems" in it to yield a  35-40% improvment in GC
> code and a 1-2% improvment in opcode performance as measured by
> TinyBenchmarks.
A % here and a % there can soon add up. Not all improvements come in
gt 50% chunks. Speeding up GC would be very welcome.

tim
Strange OpCodes: RCR: Rewind Card Reader