Report from a novice VM h4x0r.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Apr 1 02:25:03 UTC 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, at 5:02 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

>  The same for primitive dispatch - it's because
> of Apple not getting their act together with defining a decent ABI
> that the
> VM uses a case statement although it can be shown that on *every*
> platform
> having a reasonable ABI a function-through-pointer call just about
> *doubles*
> the primitive dispatch speed.

I'll note that the os-x version does the gcc jumptable stuff, but
you're referring to the primitive dispatch stuff.

  The gcc jumptable stuff btw  has a powerpc specific hack to improve
things by 1 clock cycle...

As for CodeWarrior if someone wants to spring for $299 USA
price for the CW update then I believe that compiler version fixes the
bug I reported a few
years ago that enables you to do the case statement goto hack. I prove
this worked on a smaller
case statement, but ran into an optimization compiler failure with my
older version of CW. At the time
I was able to open an official bug with metrowerks and ship them a
Squeak VM to compile. They
did fix the bug and rolled that into I believe the latest compiler.

===