VM for FreeBSD?

Chris Burkert chris at chrisburkert.de
Thu Apr 1 14:51:55 UTC 2004

Hi Roland and Colin,

Colin Putney wrote:
> I'm trying to install Squeak on a headless FreeBSD box and I'm not sure what
> voodoo is currently required, if any. The key thing is that I want to be able
> to run a 3.7 image, which is problematic with the current Unix VM. So as far as
> I can see, my options are:
>
> 1) Install the stock 3.4 VM Ian's site and do without the improvements he's made
> since then - in theory I shouldn't need ephemerons etc.
>
> 2) Use the current VMMaker to generate a source tree, patch it as necessary to
> run the 3.7 image, copy it over to the FreeBSD box and build a VM from scratch.
> I've been unsuccessful when trying to do this on my Mac OS X box, but FreeBSD
> might be easier.
>
> My gut says #2 is the better option, but is likely to be tricky. Any hints from
> the VM gurus out there?

I'm having this problem too. I have CC'ed this to the maintainer of the
FreeBSD Squeak Port lang/squeak3 <roland.jesse at gmx.net>.

@Roland
Could you please talk with Ian and get this thing running? It would make
life much more easy! Please tell us, if we can help (e.g. testing the
new port).

thanks
            Chris Burkert
--