RACE CONDITION!!!!!

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Thu Apr 1 18:57:54 UTC 2004

Since SUnit tests seems to corrupt my image, I've been using a seperate
instance for testing VMs.

I've found that, on occasion, it will fail fairly badly, then uppon
quitting/nosave and re-trying (exact same sequence of commands) it would
perform brilliantly!

Furthermore there seem to be two classes of errors, one will happen with
a frequency of roughly 25% while another fails 80% of the time but
succedes on the other 20%.

=\

This screams "race condition" to me....

I know that these are a bitch and 9/10ths to fix and the problems I'm
experiencing aren't hindering me from using the same image/experamental
VM to do my development, however moving towards SMP/hyperthreading
support means that all types of race conditions must be eliminated.