What creates free memory chunk's?

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 1 22:23:25 UTC 2004

I'm writing a little test function (in Slang) to check memory
consistency. It's been finding free objects (header type 2).

Being naive, I didn't think that these should be created except by the
garbage collector when freeing objects. Not that they would cause any
problems except to my memory checker. Any idea what would cause free
chunks to be created in the heap by the interpreter?

The only thing that I can think of is if the is VM shrinking objects.
It would be a neat way to mark the left over space. Not that I've got
any idea why or where it's doing this.

The checker is just to help me find the causes for my memory
corruption problems. So far, with an extra check to ignore the free
chunks, it's running cleanly with a stock image. Which points
my problems back to my code, fortunately.

Bryce