Namespaces (was: Re: [ANN]A plan for 3.8/4.0... (insertdrumrollhere))

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Apr 2 06:58:47 UTC 2004

On 2 avr. 04, at 02:14, Andreas Raab wrote:

> We could easily solve that problem by having
>
>     self import: Squeak::Object as: #Object
>     self import: Squeak::Array as: #Array
>
> being executed when we create a namespace.

This is exactly what we have in classbox. BUT I would really
absoluletely avoid to have ::
We do not need that. Because imagine the mess!

A classbox is a box in which the world is flat, but you can import new
name into your flat world.
Import: #Object from: Squeak as: #Object

this way you do not have to modify and use ::
(in fact we removed alias creation because this was introducing the
possibility to have crazy loops)

I think that you should read our paper:
	- http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/Classboxes/index.html

With ClassBox you cannot nest them. Because we thought about them as
module and we wanted to have the simplest model.